Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marketing Ideas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marketing Ideas
    Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 10:50am
I am new to Avidyne products, so excuse me if this issue has been previously addressed. Last week, I had an IFD440, MLB100 and AXP340 installed by Autopilots Central in Tulsa, OK. Autopilots Central is a pretty large Avionics Dealer. They almost always have a 8 to 10 planes in their large hangar getting major avionics work done, rotating every few weeks. Yet, they were nearly unaware of the Avidyne Products. I think mine might have been their first IFD installation. They were all awed by the Avweb SNF video I showed them demonstrating the soon to be released IFD100 software.

Since I began lurking on this forum a few months ago, I have been impressed by how Avidyne acknowledges the combined wisdom of their customers by monitoring the feedback offered on this forum, and incorporating good ideas into future releases. Avidyne's demonstrated commitment to continuous product improvement was one of the reasons I went for A over G. 

But, I have not seen any attempt by Avidyne to seek their customers help in marketing their superior products. It is not enough to build a better product. If you simply build it, they will not come. Pilots and their purchasing advisors (avionics dealers). What's more, the entities with the money to complete major avionics upgrades, Businesses with planes, rely heavily on the advise of their local avionics shops. 

I will throw out the first suggestion. If it were my company, I'd install a GTN, an IFD, and an Airgizmo Mini iPad mont into a plane that doesn't handle turbulence well. And, I would send a representative around the country to the major avionics installers to demonstrate why A is better than G. I'd leave those dealers with a display that included an iPad running IFD simulation software and product demonstration videos. This may have been done before. But, if so, I don't think anybody stopped into Autopilots Central.
Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 11:16am
Marketing is a critical piece to the puzzle for any company.

But, I think you have to be careful asking customers to "market". Far more effective is for folks to honestly talk about their experiences with products (good, bad & indifferent), whether Avidyne's or other companies, on type specific forums and in pilot to pilot conversations. If you genuinely feel that you have a great product in your plane, then why wouldn't you pass comments on to your friends and colleagues. And within that circle, that bit of honest information will be given more credence than a pile of splashy ads.

I have done just that, simply out of my enthusiasm for Avidyne's products, and really the way the company handles itself vis a vis the company-customer relationship. Yes, it likely generated sales for Avidyne, but it also created a bunch of satisfied pilots.

I took a lot of grief from folks years ago, when I posted about the "upcoming" IFDs. Shouts of "vaporware" and the like. Happily, my patience was rewarded in spades. I made the right decision. I don't mind helping others study the various alternatives, and make their right choice as well.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 24 Apr 2016 at 11:28am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 11:22am
In terms of what Avidyne needs to do, getting tablets out there running the IFD100 is a must.

Full size IFDs running in demo mode is important as well, at key locations. There is nothing like having a bit of kit staring you in the face, enticing your fingers to do some walking, as you wait for service at the avionics counter.

I think that most dealers would be happy to see some competition for their shelf space. 

* Orest

George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 11:51am
All of this good. I love the product, but I feel the dealers are resistant to the companies 
policies of being customer friendly. By this I mean that the participation of the customer
cuts in to the dealer return visits($$$). The great avionics install and update mystery
is unveiled.  The customer has input and if interested can participate in installs and updates.
dubs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 1:03pm
Ok, so how about a database of happy Avidyne pilots willing to fly with and introduce prospective customers to the products. Also, how about some decent videos on YouTube. The Trip Taylor video was a good start, but it's a PowerPoint presentation, not a product demonstration. The list of CFII's is a no brainer that should have implemented long ago. Make the product accessible to those considering upgrades. Otherwise it's too easy to follow the herd and to stick with the market leader.
Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 4:14pm
As long as questions are being asked, what is the status of TAWS-B?  When I placed my order for the IFD 540 at Oshkosh in 2011. I payed the initial funds asked to get the 16 watt transmitter and the offered TAWS-B.  Got the IFD and as far as I know, I have the higher power transmitter, but have had no word as to when I might get my paid for TAWS-B <G> Whada Ya Think?

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 5:59pm
Bob, TAWS was deferred from the initial releases because of certification timelines. In the initial release we got TA and FLTA. In 10.1 we got 500ft callout. The remaining components of TAWS will be in 10.2 which is the next release. It appears to be summer release for what you are waiting for.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 6:53pm

Bob, do you remember the TAWS price?

Best,

David

David Gates
Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 8:29pm
David, 
 my original Avidyne sales contract lists a price of $ 7,995 for TAWS=B enablement.
Gary-T
safari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 9:39pm
As far as marketing goes it is amazing to me how on other forums when people talk about upgrading that all you here is Garmin Garmin and more Garmin for the most part. It seems a lot of people do not even consider the alternatives. I thought about starting an avidyne vs garmin thread on Beech Talk. I am sure though there would be people complaining about everything including the indemnification. It would take a lot of us too support a thread like that to make it good. 
Dave
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 10:35pm
Well, I'm sure that gring would be a happy participant. I zip through BT as well, from time to time. 

* Orest

BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 10:40pm
Hi Gary T.

That nearly eight thousand bucks list price is what got me to pop for the TAWS-B for only a grand in the first place.  May have been a sucker deal, but I just can't pass up that big a discount. 

Sucker Born every minute? <G>

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
safari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 11:30pm
too funny someone just posted on beech talk a new thread Garmin or Avidyne we better start chiming in. 
Dave
dubs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 7:06am
I just re-read my original post introducing this topic. And I see now that I wasn't very clear.

What I meant to infer is that I am certain that there are several successful entrepreneurs and business executives, maybe even marketing executives, included in the ranks of happy Avidyne customers. Let's face it, we are some of the only people who can afford to own planes and pump money into the panel. Why not draw on the group member's marketing acumen to look for free input in an area where Avidyne is struggling, creating demand for their superior products?

It seems to me that Avidyne is doing a somewhat satisfactory job of educating the end users through advertising in journals, etc. But, judging from my own recent shopping experience, I would like to see more content on Youtube demonstrating the product in action, and educating new and potential customers. A video Pilot's Guide would be ideal. Third party testimonials should be included in every release. Also, a database of customers from around the country who would be happy to show the installed product to potential buyers would be helpful. Put my name on that list.

But, in my acknowledged limited experience, Avidyne seems to be struggling at the dealer level. Again, my polling sample size consists of precisely one dealer, so I could be completely off base. But, I was astonished to find that such a large avionics shop as Autopilots Central was all but ignorant of the Avidyne IFD's. 

Again, I'm betting that there are some great ideas to be found in this group.
Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic