Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Zaon XRX traffic alert can it be displayed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motoadve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zaon XRX traffic alert can it be displayed
    Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 10:14am
Already have ADSB in with my 796 and GDL 39.
But in the meantime looking for some traffic alert system, for non ADSB.

Will be possible to display threats from the Zaon XRX in the IFD 540?
It does have an SR 232 interface.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 12:29pm
No idea.  Have never looked at the Interface Control Document (presuming one exists) so I don't know what's involved.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 2:55pm
Zaon went out of business a few years ago. I doubt that documentation exists, or that anyone would want to spend time developing an interface.

Mike
clydeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clydeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 9:46pm
So here's another question - any chance of accepting a traffic feed from a Flarm on RS232? The interface protocol for that is an extension of NMEA and is well defined and available here: http://www.ediatec.ch/pdf/FLARM%20Data%20Port%20Specification%20v7.00.pdf

For those that don't know what Flarm is, it's a system similar to ADS-B in that Flarm devices broadcast GPS-derived position to nearby aircraft using low-power transmissions in the ISM band. It is mainly used in gliders, and in Europe and Australia virtually all gliders are equipped with it.

Having a Flarm transceiver feed one of my IFDs would be nice, particularly since that would enable voice alerts. I already have active traffic and ADS-B on my MFD but that doesn't show gliders, and I do fly in areas where gliders are common.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 3:31am
Yes, we can integrate with FLARM. I expect to add that capability in the next major release.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
clydeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clydeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 7:18am
Awesome!
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 5:35pm

Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Yes, we can integrate with FLARM. I expect to add that capability in the next major release.

Does this apply for the "Powerflarm" ( Flarm/ADS-B/Xpdr-CAS) too?

http://www.air-store.eu/epages/AIRStore-LuftfahrtbedarfundAvionik.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectPath=%2FShops%2FAIRStore-LuftfahrtbedarfundAvionik%2FProducts%2FFLAPFP-E

Klaus
clydeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clydeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by KIM KIM wrote:

Does this apply for the "Powerflarm" ( Flarm/ADS-B/Xpdr-CAS) too?

The PowerFlarm serial data protocol is the same as the classic Flarm so once done any Flarm should work.

KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 1:21pm

Steve,

my question refered to the ADS-B/ Transponder-CAS part of the Powerflarm.  

Klaus
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 9:42pm
I don't know what that means but we expect all FLARM functionality to be supported.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
clydeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clydeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 7:54am
Originally posted by KIM KIM wrote:

my question refered to the ADS-B/ Transponder-CAS part of the Powerflarm.  

PowerFlarm uses the same sentences (PLFAA and PFLAU) to send data on any traffic it is receiving, FLARM or ADS-B, so any device receiving data from a PowerFlarm will get both Flarm and ADS-B traffic (assuming the PowerFlarm is configured for both.)

Arrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 4:53pm

Can anyone confirm the IFD 440 with 10.2 is Displaying Flarm Traffic?
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Arrow Arrow wrote:

Can anyone confirm the IFD 440 with 10.2 is Displaying Flarm Traffic?
FLARM is not displayed in 10.2. I think when Jake wrote that, he meant the next major release post 10.2.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Arrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 2:03am

I can confirm, IFD440 works well with TRX1500A for ADSB Traffic AND Flarm Traffic (nearly all Gliders in Europe euqiped with Flarm) via Arinc429!
Traffic is displayed on the IFD - but not on the IFD100 !?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic