Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD Support for Heads Up Technology XMD-076/A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD Support for Heads Up Technology XMD-076/A
    Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 7:49am
I see a few questions asking about support for the Heads Up Technology XMD-076(A) XM datalink receiver that is prevalent on a lot of Cirrus aircraft (and others).   There some questions about whether the IFD can display data and if not, why not.

It is true that as of Release 10.2.0.0, the IFD series does not support display of weather datalink data from that device.

It is also true we still intend to add support for it on a later release.

The reason it has not been included yet was for scope and schedule reasons.  We had what felt like a gazillion candidates competing for release inclusion and had to draw the line somewhere.  The reasoning behind why this has fallen below the cut to-date is that there is already a means to display that data on the big screen EX5000 MFDs in these Cirrus aircraft.   We don't feel like those folks have lost any capability and therefore it wasn't as critical a need or as high a weighting in our scoring for what features are included and which are deferred.

There are no hardware or software incompatibilities that we know of that will prevent the support from being added in a future release.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 7:17am
Thanks Steve, so glad to hear there is no bar to compatibility.   While it is true the MFD can display just about anything the IFD series can, there is substantial value in having more than one screen to display the multitude of information that an EX5000 or IFD can display - as brought home in spades with your post on what it's like to fly with an IFD550, an IFD540, and two IFD100s. I look forward to the day when I can see my ADS-B weather on my IFD while the XM weather is on my IFD100 and my EX5000 has my approach chart on display. Just as an example. Meantime, I will eat my spinach and hope to see that HUT XM capability added at your earliest convenience.
dpcraig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 8:01am
You are correct Steve, we have the data on the MFD, but to access detailed airport weather information we have to jump around screens on the MFD, which there is no shortage of doing anyway, charts, emax, maps, weather, etc. For those of us with HUT, we are left with no options to get XM weather to both MFD/IFD other than to try to find an obsolete MLB 700, which is the only compatible XM receiver for both boxes. That was one of the reasons I upgraded from the GNS430W was to get this along with other functionality like fuel rings which is another compatibility story..
dpcraig
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 10:49pm
Is there any update in the past two years when Avidyne might allow compatibility between the IFDxxx and HUT's XMD-76 XM receiver? With the IFD's ability to control XM weather and music from a GDL90 as explained in the pilot guide, I sure wish my IFD would work with my HUT XMD-76 as well. The benefits of having a redundant XM weather display option together with my EX5000C MFD, and the ability to control the music from the IFD without HUT's remote, are a couple of features I'd much like to have some day.

I hope this is getting closer to implementation. Can any of the current Avidyne reps comment on this please?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 8:58am
I have good news and bad news.  The good news is that 10.3 will support the XMD-76 as a source of weather.  The bad news is that the 10.3 changes do not address IFD control of XMD-76 music.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 10:59am
OK, thanks Steve. XM weather compatibility is the more important feature, so I'm glad to hear that will be in 10.3 at least.  I'll hope for ditching the music remote in a later update perhaps.  
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 9:43pm
this is good news. I had to buy a G* GDL69/A to replace my MLB700. I do like the control of the audio through the IFD more than I thought I would.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 9:25am
It's hard keeping up with these tech changes. :).  When I bought the IFDs I already had the HUT XM weather but had to eliminate it and go with the MLB 700 as the IFDs didn't support HUT.  Then, as Gring, I had to eliminate the MLB700 and installed the GDL 69A.  Appears we've gone full circle with the HUT becoming an option again.  :)
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 9:17pm
Ouch!!!
firebreather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebreather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 4:49pm
Does the latest software upgrade allow the IFD to receive XM Music from the XMD076?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by firebreather firebreather wrote:

Does the latest software upgrade allow the IFD to receive XM Music from the XMD076?
No.  10.3 has a bunch of stuff, but not that.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by firebreather firebreather wrote:

Unless I'm missing something, the XMD076 does not send Music/audio out the serial interface, it sends the audio out a separate interface that is supposed to be connected directly to your audio panel to a "music" or "aux" input.
firebreather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebreather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 8:47pm
Can the IFD be the controller while the audio goes through the audio panel?
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 7:41am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

I have good news and bad news.  The good news is that 10.3 will support the XMD-76 as a source of weather.  The bad news is that the 10.3 changes do not address IFD control of XMD-76 music.

One of my airplane partners was just asking me about XM WX options for our IFD540. I had forgotten about the XMD-76… but since we're at 30 months and counting since this post I am not thinking telling him "oh just wait for 10.3" will be a popular approach.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic