Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Screen Cleaner for IFD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Screen Cleaner for IFD
    Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 4:35pm
I know y'all sent out a small bottle of Sparkle cleaner and a cloth.  I am wondering if the iCloth screen cleaner is safe for the IFDs?  It is an Avionics grade cloth with some isopropanol.  No ammonia, seems like it would be ok?

Thanks.
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 7:56am
Here's our position as enumerated in the Pilot Guide:

Cleaning the Display

If the IFD screen should become dirty due to fingerprints or dust, clean the screen using the following materials and methods:

A clean, soft lint-free cloth such as 3M Ultra-Brite Cloth #2011 or similar;

A cleaning solution composed of de-ionized water or reagent-grade acetone or other liquid solvents such as isopropyl alcohol (IPA).  Use caution, as it may be flammable.  Always apply the cleaning solution directly on the cloth.  Never spray cleaner directly on the screen.

Acetone is very good at dissolving grease, but it dries very quickly and always should be handled with acetone-impenetrable gloves. In general, isopropyl alcohol is a safe and effective cleaner.  Methanol and most acidic solutions can be toxic or damaging to glass coatings if misused.

Excessive or unnecessary cleaning should be avoided to prevent damage to the coated optical filter surfaces.  Never allow excess amounts of cleaning agents to dry if they have formed into pools, streaks or droplets to help avoid spotting of the glass surface.

The use of any third-party screen protector, especially those that adhere directly to the IFD display glass, is not endorsed by Avidyne due to the touch-screen nature of the display and may void the warranty for any display related issue.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 9:14am
What about those prepackaged alcohol wipes?
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 3:09pm
Hi Mark!

Since isopropyl alcohol is a regular-stock item in my hangar, I just went to the place where I get my glasses and picked up a glasses cleaning cloth from them for three bucks.  This is my "lint-free cloth".

Then I found that I still had the last one that they gave me for free with a previous pair of glasses.  So I keep one in the glove box and one in my toolbox.

Now I just clean the screen periodically in the hangar.  The cloth in the glove compartment remains unused, but ready.

The single-use kind (that I'm sure you're stealing from the BBQ place, like any good citizen would) probably will work just fine, but naturally are only suited to one application.
sikhpilotmd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 7:17pm
Icloth avionics cleaner works great
Jamorowitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamorowitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 3:11pm
Standard "alcohol wipes" are ethanol which is not recommended by Avidyne. Zeiss makes individually packaged isopropyl alcohol wipes. I got them at Walmart in the eyeglass area.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 4:21pm
A little pricey but convenient:  I use iCloth isopropanol wipes on all of my devices.

I also recall that Avidyne sent owners of IFDs a small bottle of Sparkle glass cleaner.

All available on amazon.
David Gates
cbenedikt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbenedikt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Jamorowitz Jamorowitz wrote:

Standard "alcohol wipes" are ethanol which is not recommended by Avidyne. Zeiss makes individually packaged isopropyl alcohol wipes. I got them at Walmart in the eyeglass area.

Alcohol wipes are typically 70% isopropyl alcohol not ethanol. Who would want to waste perfectly good ethanol that way??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic