Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CFII's with IFD Familiarity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CFII's with IFD Familiarity
    Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 2:38pm
I live in Tulsa, OK, and am currently having a PMA450, IFD440, MLB100 and AXP340 installed in my Cherokee Six. I'm an Instrument Rated Private Pilot with about 800 hrs, but have always flown /A aircraft. I'd like to spend some time with a CFII who is familiar with Avidyne IFD equipment. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated. I fly to Kansas City almost weekly, and could meet someone there, too.

Also, I thought there must certainly be others with the same needs in their local areas, so I started this forum topic so that Avidyne-friendly CFII's from around the country can reply and make themselves known.

Jay Williams

Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
skyking00a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyking00a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 4:36pm
I'm a CFII familiar with the 540, and own a Bonanza with a IFD540 installed.

Mark King
CFII
Aerobatics, Emergency Maneuver Training, Tailwheel
CP Aviation
Santa Paula, Ca (KSZP)
805-525-2138
dubs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 9:17pm
I found that Destinations Flight Center on Jones Riverside Airport (KRVS) in Tulsa has a Cirrus with two recently installed IFD440's. I'll do some transition training with one of their instructors.

I still think other CFII's from around the nation should broadcast their whereabouts for others seeking transition training on the IFD.
Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 11:22am
We are currently working out a plan for a dedicated training program for both CFIs and Owners of Avidyne IFD Series navigators. More info to follow.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
safari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 12:38pm
That is great news. We have one CFI in AZ and I know of one in Colorado and Mark King in California comes with good recommendations. 
Dave
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 3:18pm
For a guy who maybe doesn't see this forum often to respond to this himself: CFII Trip Taylor in Atlanta did a video for Avidyne itself on how to use the IFD series.  No doubt he would be a good guy to seek out for those in the Altanta area who want to get up to speed on their new IFD's.
safari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 3:38pm
well I emailed trip or his organization and never heard anything back perhaps they are too busy with Cirrus training
Dave
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 9:27am
I'm in the DFW area and would like to get in on this program. I just spent 3 years restoring a T-210 from old ARC avionics to Avidyne and Aspen. I have to learn how to fly all over again and figger out which buttons to push to give me the info that I "think" I need... ***scratches head***
tomd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 2:40pm
Great idea for a instructional program.

Anyone in Midwest available for mentoring?
Bonanza F33a
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 3:18pm
I'm a CFII in ATW, not too far from you. I have a C-182P with an Aspen and an IFD540/MLB100.

Shoot me a PM and we can talk.

Mike
tomd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 8:37pm
Thanks Mike, pm sent.
Bonanza F33a
Sonnyz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonnyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 8:36am
Anyone near KPYM in MA? I just installed the 540 and 440 in my Saratoga
compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 2:19pm
I'm an experienced CFII/ME/ATP in northeast Ohio with over 200 hours on my Avidyne 540, much of it in actual and dozens of actual approaches as well. I am willing to fly my Cardinal to your location and help you learn how to use your (or my) 540/440. I have over 8000 hrs in dozens of makes/models single and twin aircraft, over 1000 hrs actual IMC instrument time and over 2700 hrs CFI time. Well versed on aviation weather, having taught a course on wx several years at Kent State school of aviation. toddhfisher@att.com
GaryB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 1:45pm

Hi Todd

Where are you located, I'm based at KPOV.

Gary Bulzan

Gary
compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 3:45pm
Gary - I am also at KPOV, Hangar B10.

Todd
KLRDMD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLRDMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 10:49pm
Hopefully I'll get my airplane back tomorrow with a new 540, 440 & 340. Give me a few weeks to get comfortable with it and then I'll have reasonable familiarity with it. 
---
Ken Reed
CFI, CFII, MEI, ATP
---
Ken Reed
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 8:48pm
I am based at SFZ and have an appointment at PYM on Monday.  I have had the 540s since they came out.
Sonnyz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonnyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 6:30am
what time is your appointment Monday?
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 7:44am
I'll probably arrive around 10 or so. Just for static system check.
Sonnyz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonnyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 8:30am
please email me at wjz@commercialmasonry.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic