Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Audio callout requests

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Audio callout requests
    Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 1:59pm
Per Steve's suggestion, I've started a new thread to discuss possible audio callout expansions. He said "As a potentially interesting aside, we did record about 100 aurals for various things and they are in the code - we just don't make a call to most of them at this time." But in typical AviJake-tease mode he didn't tell us what's already recorded, leaving it to use to make our case for what callouts we'd like to see. I'll start the bidding:

1. MAP: to me, you cannot have too many reminders that you're at the MAP. An aural for this would be a complement to what I see on the chart.
  2. FAF inbound: useful callout to remind you to complete your approach checklist, etc.
  3. Exiting hold-- if the IFD sequences you out of the hold, an aural reminder can be useful if you've been busy prepping for the approach while letting the box fly the hold for you.
  4. Switch tanks. You've already got a timer for this, and it blue-lights AUX and gives you an on-screen reminder, but an aural would be welcome too.
What else?
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 2:16pm
1000 Ft, 500 Ft

Minimums

Altitude Variation (warn for 200' variation off whatever altitude was being flown when engaged)

Optional Gear Check (coincident with 1000 Ft warning) or GUMPS

FLTA Disengaged

GPS lost

Edited by ddgates - 02 Apr 2016 at 2:17pm
David Gates
bneub111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bneub111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 11:47pm
All of the listed call outs here and in the new release thread have good applications for different pilots and situations. How about a place in the setup to turn each one on and off individually? That way we can each pick what we like.

I think I would like:
FAF
Minimums
MAP

Another cool thing would be a choice between a chime, CAS message, and/or aural alert for each item.

Since this is a wish list, how about a choice of when some alerts happen? For example when do you want a gear/GUMPS reminder - never, 1000', 500', FAF, on impact 😳, if you're lonely all of the above?
luchetto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luchetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 1:15am
I do have a dumb question. I have now the 500ft call out enabled and the FLTA inhibited for landing. I have never heard the 500ft call out is it because of the FLTA inhibition? I don't want to be bothered with terrain warnings all the time but the 500 ft call out on approach would be nice.

Did I get something wrong?
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 8:28am

I do like most of the listed callouts above:

• FAF
  • MAP
  • Altitude variation
  • Gear (GUMP) at 1000' and 100'

I would also like to see if we could make the Airspace callouts more intelligent.  I would like Class B, C and D callouts, but ONLY if flying at an altitude within 500' of their min/max zones.  So if I was at 3500' AGL, I would not get a Class D alert, but I might get an alert for a layer of a Class B or C.  I like the way my old Argus turns the airspace depictions red from green if, and only if, you are at an affected altitude.

David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 10:44am
Yes, for sure the following cardinal locations:
  • approaching the FAF
  • 500ft; 200ft; 100ft HAT (or HAA)
  • approaching the MAP on an NPA
  • DH on a PA (I understand the issues with this one, but lets list it anyway)
* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 03 Apr 2016 at 10:45am
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 11:30am
Originally posted by bneub111 bneub111 wrote:

All of the listed call outs here and in the new release thread have good applications for different pilots and situations. How about a place in the setup to turn each one on and off individually? That way we can each pick what we like.

I think I would like:
FAF
Minimums
MAP

Another cool thing would be a choice between a chime, CAS message, and/or aural alert for each item.

Since this is a wish list, how about a choice of when some alerts happen? For example when do you want a gear/GUMPS reminder - never, 1000', 500', FAF, on impact 😳, if you're lonely all of the above?

+1

For those of us who do not have a GPSS: 
Chimes for all steering commands as next course / track, climb, descent,
level off ; so you do not have to observe the display all the time.  

Klaus
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 5:54pm
Bump.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 9:22am
I've entered this in the candidate database.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
100mileperhour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100mileperhour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 4:05pm
Doing a Google Search for Aural alerts and not seeing what I was looking for, until this thread!

Where is the list aural alerts available?

I see this is a almost 4 year old thread.  Running 10.2.4.1 firmware.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 9:33am
There is no single published list of aurals, but the pilot guide does indicate in several places where an aural alert is generated.  If you search the PDF version for "aural", you'll find them.  Most have to do with FLTA, but there is also one for airspace and a TOD chime.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 11:02am
I seem to recall Jake saying that there were a numbers of murals baked into the software (and recorded), but not enabled...can't believe it has been that many years ago now.
David Gates
100mileperhour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100mileperhour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

There is no single published list of aurals, but the pilot guide does indicate in several places where an aural alert is generated.  If you search the PDF version for "aural", you'll find them.  Most have to do with FLTA, but there is also one for airspace and a TOD chime.

Thank you AviSteve!

That is in fact what I did, was search the user manual.

I would suggest a greater list of options for aural alerts for users to chose from in future software updates.  I fly a older Bonanza which a some quirks in the fuel management.  I have set up IFD, to visually alert me to switch tanks, every 30 minutes.  However, when things get busy, and things deviate from the norm, I feel a audible reminder would be a great aid. 

A gear audible warning wold be another useful aid, that a user could choose to if they wanted. 

Thanks
Michael
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 4:00am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Steve, is it still there?

Klaus
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 8:42am
Originally posted by KIM KIM wrote:

Still there.  It's even moved up in the list a little...
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 8:53am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Originally posted by KIM KIM wrote:

Still there.  It's even moved up in the list a little...
Sounds not good! "a little..." in 4 years? 
Klaus
cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 10:25am
Steve,

If you can make a poll on this website, how about list all the aurals you recorded and let us "vote" of which ones would be nice to have?

If not, I have polling software setup, you could provide me a list and I could just list the link for people to vote.

Jim

Edited by cavu - 25 Apr 2020 at 10:28am
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 4:20pm
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 6:17pm
:) :) :)
cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 11:01am
LOL

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic