Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Occasional ownship position drop on Foreflight wif
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Occasional ownship position drop on Foreflight wif

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Occasional ownship position drop on Foreflight wif
    Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 1:48pm
Last night was my first flight with Foreflight 7.6 and my 540. I joined the LIO network, verified ownship on the ground, and took off. A couple of times during the flight, I noticed that FF wasn't displaying the ownship icon, and at one point FF wouldn't let me put a plate on the map because it said there was no georeferencing data available.

In each case, hitting the home button and then switching back to FF fixed the problem. Posting here in case anyone else has run into a similar issue.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 1:55pm
Hhmm, that's an interesting one.  I haven't seen that myself yet nor have heard of anyone seeing the same problem.   We'll keep it as a watch item.   I'll probably talk to Foreflight crew at SnF about it so if anyone else has seen it, I'd love to hear about it.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 9:13pm
When my FF is using the 540 as a position source it's jerky. Like only changing position ever second or two. Really noticeable on the ground. For now, I'll just use the internal iPad gps. Seems to be better than both the 540 and the Lynx. Going to look up some of the Avidyne guys tomorrow and say hi. Camping in the Mooney and rain right now
:-)
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 11:10pm
Mine did the same thing. Came and went. Flew GSO-kdts owns hip disappeared several times.
Khuffine
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 7:34am
We'll investigate.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 9:33am
I'm noticing frequent heading "fluttering" of the own ship representation. FltPlan GO/android.

I Orest

LarryPetro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 9:39am
I've been having a perhaps similar problem with FF (v7.6, iPad Air 2, iOS 9.3, ) connected via wifi to my Stratus 2s.  I also have an AXP340 ADS-B transponder and IFD540 (10.1.1.0).  I observe occasional losses of ownship, sometimes with my aircraft then displayed in FF by its N-number and sometimes with loss of all GPS information.  FF has been investigating, but the problem has not been resolved.
Larry Petro - Columbia 350 @ KFME
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 9:41am
This was happening non-stop this weekend DCU-NEW-DCU-- this trip, I left my Stratus at home. My position icon would show up for a while, then vanish, but FF said it was still connected. Sometimes it would come back on its own; sometimes I had to hit the home button and relaunch FF. There's a video showing the behavior at https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9AD9C5472ED3ADDB!456548&authkey=!AKhjsalTM8eqgFg&ithint=video%2cMOV.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 7:26pm
I am wondering if this might be a FF issue.  I was seeing this same behavior intermittently before the software upgrade when I was using the Stratus only as a position source.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 7:39pm
You very well might be right. I've never seen it on FF, but I upgraded FF and then immediately started flying with 10.1.2 and wifi enabled-- I never used the current FF version with Stratus, and the problem didn't happen for me before the current version.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 7:06am
It was happening to me pretty regularly and Sportys had me send my Stratus in to be checked out.  They said it was fine but the problem was still there when I got it back.
Lyndons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyndons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 11:55pm
Enroute to SNF with FF using my IFD540 as a position source, I experienced intermittent position loss on FF. I raised this issue with Simpson. He referred me to talk to the FF geeks. They ran through some settings with me to check. It's unclear if a had a setting configured wrong or not but I had no position issues on way home from SNF during 7 hour flight. I'll continue to check during up coming flights and report back.
DV
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 12:04pm
I filed a ticket with the FF folks. They asked me to display the GPS accuracy instrument in the instrument bar and, on the next dropout, to try re-pushing the flight plan. Their suspicion is that it would fail. I finally got to test this again today. There’s a movie at https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9AD9C5472ED3ADDB!462651&authkey=!AG0zUfvCgeSN10o&ithint=video%2cMOV that shows what I did.
  1. Cleared the active route on ForeFlight
  2. Noted “no fix” on accuracy instrument
  3. Verified that the IFD540 was connected
  4. Pushed the active route from the IFD540 to ForeFlight. This worked normally with no errors or complaints from ForeFlight.
  5. Verified that “no fix” was still displayed
At the very end of the video you can see that the connection is re-established, as the accuracy goes back to 5m.

This is with the latest FF and iOS 9.3.2. The 540 is running 10.1.2. I am awaiting FF's response now and will update the thread when I hear back.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 1:56pm
I got a response back from FF support today-- they have verified that this is an issue in the current release. Here's exactly what they said:

I ran this by engineering again and they believe that what you are experiencing is a problem that will be addressed by a fix the team has recently worked on. It will be part of an upcoming update to the app and they don't yet have a timeframe for when that will be released, but please know that a fix should be on the way.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 8:28pm
Probable Translation: It's fixed in 10.2.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 9:16pm
They are saying it will be fixed by a FF update. It's doesn't appear to be an Avidyne issue.
WaltM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 9:58am
I am curious how many of you have actually been successful getting the IFD540 to talk to the Foreflight app.  I have the IFD540 load 10.1.2 and Foreflight 7.7.2 and have followed all available published process guidance provided by Avidyne and Foreflight as well as talked to tech reps at both companies, sent in logs, etc.  In Foreflight I get the connected indication but am unable to get a GPS position or get the active IFD540 flight plan to load to the Foreflight App.  I have tried on multiple Ipad and Iphone devices with similar software loads with no success.  

I have heard that there are quite a few users that can't get this to work and would appreciate any help from those of you that are enjoying this capability. 

Thanks,

Walt
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 10:17am
Mine has been spotty at best.  Never gotten the flight plan xfer to work.  I bet that in 10.2 all will work much much better. 

Ken
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 10:47am
Interesting-- it has worked flawlessly for me from day 1, modulo the original complaint about position drops (and a related weird bug where sometimes my position shown in FF would slide about 5nm due south of the correct position-- this was fixed in their latest release).
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 1:25pm
My flight plan transfer has also worked flawlessly from day one but I did noticed some infrequent gps location jitters on my last flight. It was so quick to recover that functionality was not compromised.
Ron L
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 8:25pm
Today for the first time, I stopped seeing the airplane position on the FF map when connected to the 540.  I know there was some talk of this happening in the past and it sounded like FF was aware of it and would correct it in a release.  My WiFi connection to the 540 was good as I was able to shoot the flight plan to FF but no position was available.  When I used the Stratus instead, everything was fine.  Does anyone have an idea on this?   I assume that since FF has had several releases since this was identified, they made the change necessary on their end.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 7:06am
I'd thought this problem was fixed as well, but it began recurring once I upgraded my iPad to iOS 10.1. I don't know offhand what version of FF I have; I have auto-updates enabled so it should be the latest version. The problem is definitely back, however.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 7:14am
That must be the problem because I just updated my IOS software to 10.1.1 on Saturday and noticed this problem on Sunday.  Oddly my iPhone is on the same software and does not have this issue.  I don't have the problem when using the Stratus.   Check something for me.  When at home and connected to a WiFi source ONLY, (airplane mode) see if you get the blue location symbol on the FF map.  I used to get it when connected to a WiFi source but now I see it only for about 5 secs and then it disappears.  This must be software related.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 7:03pm
Got this reply from FF about this issue.  :(

Mark here.

Thank you for your screenshots. We recently identified what you are experiencing as an issue and we now have an internal engineering case to look into this issue further and fix as able. There is no workaround to get the GPS signal from the IFD440 into ForeFlight at this time, as it requires a fix to the app itself. While we don't have a timeframe for when a fix may be put in place, please know we are working on correcting this.

teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 11:20am
On my recent trip down South, I am now also noticing that I cannot move flight plans from the IFD to FF.  That had been working previously as had the aircraft ownship position.  I am not sure if this bug is now a result of the IOS 10.1.1 release or FF's last release but it seems that 10.2 will not be able to be released until this one way transfer of plans is corrected if 10.2 is supposed to support 2 way transfer.
bwendel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwendel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 11:24am
I'm having the same problem as many users are reporting. I can get the flight plan to go from IFD 540 to ForeFlight - connection to the IFD wia wifi is fine - but the ownship indication is spotty at best. Tried exiting FF and going back in, and that works sometimes, but the ownship drop is too frequent for that to be a practical solution. (I really want the little blue airplane on approach plates, and approach is the last place I want to be fooling around with my iPad to try to fix some issue.) 
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 12:15pm
Agree but this does not seem to be an Avidyne issue.  Foreflight is aware of it and they say they are working on a solution and new release as soon as possible.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 8:19pm
Foreflight tells me and it appears correct that with Foreflight release 8.2 which just came out the Avidyne ownship issue has been solved.  I made a quick test flight today and sure enough the airplane symbol was back on the chart as had previously been the case and I was again able to transfer flight plans from the 540 to FF.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic