Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Updating the IFD's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Updating the IFD's
    Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 12:45pm
Greetings,

I am a new IFD540 & 440 owner who previously had twin GNS430's.   Question on updating the NavData, obstacles, charts, etc.  Do you format the flash drives before downloading the new updates?   

I am assuming that Jeppesen JDM will not overwrite the old files on the flash drive and that this should be done first.  At least that's how I do it for the NavData and chart updates for the EX5000C.

thanks,

Bill

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 1:00pm
There is no need to reformat the USB drives that get supplied to you by Avidyne.

There is also no need to delete any files (you can if you wish) on a subsequent update, JDM will do that for you.

* Orest

Ham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 3:20pm
Orest,

Thanks for the info.   What if I have a problem getting an update to load properly?   I wasn't able to get the 440 obstacle database to load for the the March 31 revision.  See photo.   The 540 was fine.   The 440 NavData was also fine.

Jeppesen gave me a new obstacle download for the 440 and had me format the drive before downloading onto the flash drive.   I have not been out the plane to try to upload it yet.  Anything else I need to do?

Ham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 6:42pm
Well, I answered my own question.  After I got a fresh download of the obstacle database on the flash drive, the IFD updated correctly.   So I guess the moral of the story, ask Jeppesen for a refresh of the download, and try again.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 5:48pm
Appears the data updating process is not solved.

I thought it was with 10.1.x, but apparently not.

Attempted to update IFDs prior to 1000 mile IFR flight for tomorrow.  In the process, the IFD1 hung during the chart update, wrote the garbage files to the fob (the ones dated 1980), so had to go back to condo, reformat, redownload, and will go back to airport to try again.

Any handle on this yet?  Is there a fix in 10.2?
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 1:18am
I'm out of the office for the next week so I can't verify personally and since I've been flying Rel 10.2 for so long, I can't recall for sure which release purported to fix this. I think the best bet is to place a call to Avi Tech Support on Monday and ask them.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
FEisert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FEisert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 1:54pm
I have on a couple of occasions had issues with updating the database. My solution is to delete all files from the thumb drive before loading a new database from JSUM. Evidently, sometimes a file can be corrupted in the process. Frustrating when there is no internet connection at the airport, not to mention calling to get a fresh database for load.
bcool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 7:31pm

Well, I've just experienced the weirdness with updating the nav data.

I did my first update in April with no problems. This past Thursday I download the current nav data cycle, but when I went to do the update Friday night the IFD540 acted like it wasn't there - it went directly to the screen that shows the versions.

After reading the posts here I wondered if I had the mysterious files added to the drive, but when I checked, nothing was there except the nav data file. Being the weekend, I wasn't able to contact Jepp to get the database counter reset, so I thought I'd try something else.

I copied the nav data file to my PC, then reformatted the USB drive (an Avidyne brand one). Then, I copied the data file back to it.

Today, when I attempted to do the upload I at least got to the screen that asks me to select the databases I want to upload. However, when I did that I got the following error message (System update halted. Error detected "Data load not authorized"). I guess my only option at this point is to reformat, then contact Jepp next week so I can re-download the data file.

The only thing I did different from April was that in April, I downloaded my file to my PC first, then updated the USB drive. This time, I installed it directly to the USB drive.

Edited by bcool - 30 Apr 2016 at 7:32pm
1964-m20e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1964-m20e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 8:24am
I am having a similar issue.  Did you ever get a resolution?

bcool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 8:53am
It's worked OK for me the last 2 cycles, by doing the following:

1. Format the USB drive
2. Download directly to the USB drive.

Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 9:07am
I had a similar problem with the original Avidyne drive even after a full format.  To make matters worse, the 540 then decided to toss out ALL of the existing (expired) nav data including location of the class B shelves and airports, which resulted in constant aural terrain warnings in the pattern.  I used another USB drive and called Jepp to get a fresh download, which worked.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 1:00pm
Now that wifi database update has been announced in competitor's boxes, on the Avidyne work list?
David Gates
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 3:59pm
I do not mind the current download task, but I see no reason we should not be able to download a new database and have it go active on the appropriate date. ForeFlight does it just fine!!!

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
Don View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 1:00pm
I ALWAYS reformat drive to fat 32 clean sweep and let each download, direct to flash fob complete, before i drag another to the fob 
I have the 540-440 to do at same time so takes a while but have never had a problem 

I have downloaded to computer and then to fob ... still no problem 
as long as i format clean sweep to fat 32 first 

hope that helps 

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 1:36pm
Don's technique should definitely work.

On the flip side, I NEVER do that and just use the same 'ole FOB I've been using for 2 plus years and have done updates with every 14 days and used for datalog pull downs on each flight and software updates during development.     I have never had one of the data corruption events that some folks have reported in the path and it's probably fair to say I do more ops with USB fobs and IFDs than anyone else alive (and I'm not an inherently lucky or smart guy).

And of course, we'll support WiFi-based downloads (and other cool ways to seamlessly and blindly in the background get updated data in the IFDs) in the coming releases (not 10.2)
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

(and I'm not an inherently lucky or smart guy).

And of course, we'll support WiFi-based downloads (and other cool ways to seamlessly and blindly in the background get updated data in the IFDs) in the coming releases (not 10.2)

Fixed it for you.  Wifi update has been announced by another vendor using a wifi SD card.  That makes sense going from a device to the box; most of us have neither wifi nor broadband access in our hangars, so has to be "warehoused" somewhere else; a tablet etc. comes to mind, buy y'all very likely have better ideas.

Edited by ddgates - 22 Jul 2016 at 2:18pm
David Gates
1964-m20e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1964-m20e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 10:20am
downloaded the nav data directly to the jump drive and it worked installing it to the 540.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic