Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Red AUX Button

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red AUX Button
    Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 7:44pm
On a recent approach I had a terrain warning that I dismissed. After landing and taxiing back to re-launch, the Aux rocker that is usually backlit green and often yellow had turned red. Nothing I could do would make it "clear" or change back. What was I missing -- how do you get it to go back to Green by dismissing whatever it thinks is wrong?
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 8:47am
A terrain warning on approach to an airport? Were you operating at a field not in the database?
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
TomH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 3:13pm
No, was on the ILS 22 into KMMV. But I've seen this before, maybe just out flying around below terrain tops in VMC. Is there a way to reverse whatever is causing the red illumination?
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 3:16pm
How far out on the ILS? The FLTA is inhibited at a certain point (3-26 in the IFD540 Pilots Guide Rev02). It's a normal function for FLTA and TA.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 10:01pm
A couple of points:

1.  You will not get FLTA alerts and associated CAS messages and colored lamps when inside an airport FLTA Exclusion zone.  Those exclusion zones are depicted in hatched white on the map.   No need to present a terrain alert for nominal takeoff and landing operations.

2.  By "ack"ing an alert by touching the CAS message or pressing the CLR button, you aren't removing the condition.  We have some CAS messages that will self time out, some that delete upon acknowledgment, and some that will remove the CAS message and associated aural alert but will leave an entry on the ALERT tab and the colored reminder AUX button lamp.  The Pilot Guide tries to indicate which CAS message is which for auto deletes, delete on ack, and by default, everything else.

3.  If you didn't look at the ALERT tab, then we would need to see your datalogs to determine which CAS message was active when you were on the ground and therefore left your lamp lit.  There are very few reds and each should be considered a big deal.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
TomH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 1:09am
Thank you! That makes a lot more sense.
psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 10:45pm
I've been getting more and more bogus red Aux buttons and both 440's saying terrain pull up.  Both 440's do it together.  On one flight they stayed on all the way to landing and I could run off the unit and the warning was there as soon as I powered up.  Usually they stay on a few seconds then go away.  

I can be anywhere from 3 to 8000' AGL and it still see them 

DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 4:06pm
Do you have AGL as one of your displayed data blocks?  What altitude does it THINK you are at when you get the alarm?
psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 12:11am
I updated to 10.1.2 and it solved all my problems except #2 sometimes is overheating.   Although I heard the girl say 500' when I was taxiing to the ramp.  I heard her say 500' when I was 500' AGL on final as well.
luchetto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luchetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 1:20am
If you have an overheat warning which turns to red the box needs to go back to the shop. It won't reset at shutdown. Check your avionics ventilation and make sure you have forced cooling to the box.
psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 2:13pm
Just some occasional yellow warnings.
luchetto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luchetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 1:18am
Understand but don't wait until it turns red. It's an indication already of insufficient cooling. You need just one a bit longer flight where the sun shines directly on your screens and the yellow might as well become red and then it's too late. I went through this and eventhough Avidyne has been very helpful it still is a nuisance both for them and for you to deal with.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 11:15am
Originally posted by psimpson psimpson wrote:

I heard the girl say 500' when I was taxiing to the ramp.  I heard her say 500' when I was 500' AGL on final as well.

I get a 500' call from my IFD-540 and I also get one from my portable (GPSMAP696).  They almost never occur at the same time.  It seems my Garmin portable has a bit of a lag in its vertical calculations.  On short patterns with a steep final (engine out practice) I have sometimes received the Garmin 500' callout after I'm on the ground, but the Avidyne callout is always exactly where it should be.

I have added an item to my pre-landing checklist to disable the terrain alerts from the 696.

David

psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 11:58pm
I always turn it off when I get the warning and let it cool for several minutes.  I talked to tech support and there is a port on the back of the tray where you can put more air in it.
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 11:10am
I am curious: for those who have experienced overheating, is your IFD flush-mounted, so perhaps the air inlets around the periphery of the bezel are obstructed?   It's always hot and sunny in Arizona, and we've never experienced any symptoms of overheating (of the IFD, not so true for those sitting in the front seat).  But our IFD is not flush, instead protruding 1/2" or so from the panel.
luchetto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luchetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 2:01am
In my TB they do not protrude but the airinlets around the bezel are also not totally obstructed. The port at the backplate was connected to the avionics fan but it was not sufficient in my case. We added some hoses delivering ram air from the naca inlets on the side of the cowling and this so far proved to cure the problem.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by luchetto luchetto wrote:

... We added some hoses delivering ram air from the naca inlets on the side of the cowling and this so far proved to cure the problem.

I have the capability to run ram air to my avionics, but never have done it due to the possibility of unintentional water cooling when flying through rain.

How do you keep water from being sprayed on your box when flying through rain?
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 8:42pm
The bonanza also has ram air cooling from the copilot wing root vent.
luchetto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luchetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 3:32pm
I will have to ask my avionics guy if this could happen in my case. Will let you know.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic