Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 aural quality

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD540 aural quality
    Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 10:08pm
I finally got my MLB100 configured for traffic. While at the avionics shop they connected my IFD540 to my audio panel and upgraded it to 10.1.2.
I have read on the forum that traffic aural warning is going to be part of 10.2.0. However, on my flight home (from Dallas area) I could hear the system announcing what sounded like "traffic ahead". The quality was very very poor and very hard to understand (it sounded like a metallic voice in a tin can) but it was countinualy giving me warning until the traffic was no longer a factor!!! Is this the quality of sound I should expect? Why is it announcing if it is not part of this revision? Is there a setting to make the announcement sharp and clear?

Thanks

Harmik
Thanks,

Harmik
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 10:45pm
Go into the AUX page and turn up the audible alert volume. That will help quite a bit. The voice quality isn't exactly Siri, but being able to hear it clearly is greatly aided when the volume is high enough.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 7:20am
Very strange.  I just had an MLB100 installed also, and there is no aural warning for traffic yet. As you said, that is coming in 10.2 but I no semblance of it exists in my setup now.
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Harmik Harmik wrote:

I finally got my MLB100 configured for traffic. While at the avionics shop they connected my IFD540 to my audio panel and upgraded it to 10.1.2.
I have read on the forum that traffic aural warning is going to be part of 10.2.0. However, on my flight home (from Dallas area) I could hear the system announcing what sounded like "traffic ahead". The quality was very very poor and very hard to understand (it sounded like a metallic voice in a tin can) but it was countinualy giving me warning until the traffic was no longer a factor!!! Is this the quality of sound I should expect? Why is it announcing if it is not part of this revision? Is there a setting to make the announcement sharp and clear?

Thanks

Harmik

The aural alerts for traffic don't exist in the IFD540 yet. Do you have another traffic sensor on the aircraft?
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Harmik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 12:25pm

Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

The aural alerts for traffic don't exist in the IFD540 yet. Do you have another traffic sensor on the aircraft?

No I don't.  I upgraded from GNS430W and no traffic.

Thanks,

Harmik
Harmik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 12:28pm

Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

Go into the AUX page and turn up the audible alert volume. That will help quite a bit. The voice quality isn't exactly Siri, but being able to hear it clearly is greatly aided when the volume is high enough.

I have tried that.  It makes it louder but it is not clearer.  As I mentioned the voice is of very poor quality and sounds very distant.  On landing I got a "500" aural warning that was very clear and understandable.

Harmik

Thanks,

Harmik
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 1:22pm
The audio files for traffic aren't on the unit itself. I think you are hearing it from another source.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 1:31pm
Ah, OK. Until I turned up the volume, the aural alerts from the 540 were garbled-sounding because they were so quiet. However, they are now crystal clear and intelligible-- if you heard the 500' AGL callout OK, then it's likely not the 540 at issue.
Harmik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 1:43pm

Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

The audio files for traffic aren't on the unit itself. I think you are hearing it from another source.

I am planning on taking her up again in a few days and see if I can get it to repeat itself (hope to be able to negotiate that with ATC.)

Thanks,

Harmik
Harmik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 6:08pm

I flew last night for purpose of testing the traffic and confirm my observation.  I could not get close to a target to have it turn yellow so I could not get any messages from the system. 

I think I have figured out what happened.  If the volume is low for the aural announcements, then it is very hard to understand the message.  It is partly because of the low volume and partly because of the audio quality.  The message, taking off from Dallas area, must have been "Airspace Ahead" since I was under the class B airspace.

Is Avidyne going to improve the audio quality?  As mentioned before the audio sounds very digital and in my opinion it could definitely use improvement. 

Thanks,

Harmik
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 11:04pm
You mention the Dallas area, but your profile says Los Angeles.  I'm in Dallas if you want to get together and compare notes.  The Alert audio from my IFD is strong and clear.  I wonder if you have good wiring connections.  Also, you don't mention what audio panel is installed.

The IFD doesn't make traffic audio (yet) so either you were hearing a different alert, or you were hearing traffic alerts from another source.  I am able to push traffic data to a 696 portable unit, which will then send alerts to my audio panel.  But I don't normally have that feature turned on for most flights.

David Bunin

Edited by DavidBunin - 16 Mar 2016 at 11:06pm
Harmik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

You mention the Dallas area, but your profile says Los Angeles.  I'm in Dallas if you want to get together and compare notes.  The Alert audio from my IFD is strong and clear.  I wonder if you have good wiring connections.  Also, you don't mention what audio panel is installed.

The IFD doesn't make traffic audio (yet) so either you were hearing a different alert, or you were hearing traffic alerts from another source.  I am able to push traffic data to a 696 portable unit, which will then send alerts to my audio panel.  But I don't normally have that feature turned on for most flights.

David Bunin

Hi David,

My audio panel is GMA 340. I live in Los Angeles and work in Oklahoma. I keep my plane in OK 6 months out of the year and in L.A. the other half. I would like to hookup and compare notes. As I mentioned before the audio quality is very digital and just not up to par. I have flown other systems where the aural announcements were much better. I am new to this forum and need to figure out how to pm you with my information. For starters I would like to hear what yours sounds like to have a base line comparison.
Thanks,

Harmik
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic