Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foreflight 7.6 out now with some IFD support

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foreflight 7.6 out now with some IFD support
    Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 1:24pm
Just out now, Foreflight 7.6 purports to have one-way communication from the IFD 540/440, receiving flight plans and GPS position.

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 1:29pm
Great news... but the ForeFlight update info on my IOS device purports flight plan transfer from IFD540/440 to ForeFlight, not the other way around - unfortunately,

Will have to try it out.

Tom Wolf
B2C2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B2C2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 1:46pm
I would guess that the transfer from foreflight to the box requires a software change on the box, so half of the connection path is there and the other half is up to Avidyne. I'm hoping this will also include ADS-B traffic and weather input from the stratus. Maybe in 10.2?
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 2:53pm

Great news!  Even the first generation of one-way service is welcome; hopefully it includes ADS-B along with the GPS transfer. 

I am not sure what it will take to reverse the flight plan direction - allowing upload from ForeFlight to the IFDs, but that would be a big next step.

David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 3:16pm
As I understand it both pathways are supported, from Avidyne's end. 

But, the downloads are a simple approval process. For uploads the software provider has to jump through some hoops, so it may well take longer.

* Orest

edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 3:33pm
So what is the security code to link our IFD540's with wifi?

Seems we need to know that now.
Ed
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 5:19pm
Wondering the same thing now that FltPlanGo and Foreflight both support the 540.
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 6:13pm
You will not find out till sun and fun prob...This getting to be not fun.. Just give us the stuff we need so the shops can do installs instead of software updates. just want to know if it projects the wifi for synthetic vision so i can sell mt stratus
Khuffine
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 9:40pm
I suspect that there will be a big publicity push surrounding this, now that it is released, with all the details proffered.

* Orest

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 9:44pm
I suspect there is more to come....
David Gates
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 9:46pm

My bet is they won't release a wifi security code, the app will probably have to somehow do that.

David Gates
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 9:03am
Sorry to stay silent on this for so long but with multiple parties involved, we want to make sure we have everything set on each others end before making any big announcements.

Right now we have Wi-Fi Out capabilities FROM the IFD's (Release 10.1.1 or later required) to both Fltplan Go and ForeFlight.

What does the user need to have done in order for the apps to work:

1.) An IFD with 10.1.1 or later (if it’s a 440, make sure it has the WiFi/Bluetooth unlock)

2.) Make sure you have the latest app (ForeFlight release 7.6 or later OR FltPlan Go release 4.2.2 or later)

3.) You must connect your device to the LIO_WiFi network (under settings, Wi-Fi)

4.) You must enter the password for the LIO_WiFi (password is abcdef1234)

5.) Open the app

6.) GPS Position from the IFD will automatically connect

7.) Both apps have different ways to PUSH the flight plan to the device, check with your vendor

Edited by AviSimpson - 15 Mar 2016 at 10:17am
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 9:06am
Originally posted by khuffine khuffine wrote:

You will not find out till sun and fun prob...This getting to be not fun.. Just give us the stuff we need so the shops can do installs instead of software updates. just want to know if it projects the wifi for synthetic vision so i can sell mt stratus

I don't think SynVis will work without a Stratus.

Currently, GPS position and Flight Plans are the only thing being streamed from the IFDs via WiFi.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 9:06am
Originally posted by edanford edanford wrote:

So what is the security code to link our IFD540's with wifi?

Seems we need to know that now.

abcdef1234
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 9:14am
Looking forward to when MLB100 ADSB data is available via the wi-fi link.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 9:21am
Quote ...to (both) Fltplan Go

Simpson,

Any word on the FltPlan GO android app support, or do I need to call them?

* Orest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 9:38am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Quote ...to (both) Fltplan Go

Simpson,

Any word on the FltPlan GO android app support, or do I need to call them?

* Orest

I didn't see it on mine the last I looked. You would have to reach out to Fltplan.com for that.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

I didn't see it on mine the last I looked. You would have to reach out to Fltplan.com for that.

Here is the story from the FltPlan folks, on the android version app ...

Quote Our programming team is working on an enhanced External Connections feature including a connection to Avidyne.

This release is planned within the next 2 – 4 weeks (as fast as we can get it to you).

Please watch for the newsletter.

Sincerely,

Denise Wellspeak

Technical Services

Edited by oskrypuch - 15 Mar 2016 at 4:03pm
PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 1:43pm
I reached out to Foreflight today to ask how to use the new functionality, and this is the reply:

"We released updated Pilot's Guide in the app (in Documents > Catalog > ForeFlight) and on the web (http://www.foreflight.com/support/pilots-guide/) this morning with more details about that connection.

Currently, routes are not updated automatically when a change is made in the IFD540. However you can access a route two ways:

1) Tap More > Devices > Avidyne IFD540/440 > then tap the Route listed

2) On the Maps page, tap the "Panel" button then tap the "Load from Panel" button.

When your iPad is connected to the IFD540 it cannot also be connected to the Stratus, since both use WiFi and the iPad only supports connecting to one WiFi network at a time.

Take a look at that and let us know if you have any other questions. We're happy to help!"

Peter - 1977 Cardinal RG C-FJPC - IFD550/540/240/322/605A/Skytrax100, Aspen MAX 2000, Trio A/P
safari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 3:29pm
I tried it with flt plan go and it worked just fine 
Dave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by safari safari wrote:

I tried it with flt plan go and it worked just fine 

Their iPad app was updated. I think Orest was referencing their Android app.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 5:54pm
Any idea from you guys at Avidyne what WiFi unlock Password we can use to use the new ForeFlight FlightPlan transfers?

Thanks

Tom Wolf
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Any idea from you guys at Avidyne what WiFi unlock Password ...

Simpson explains the login, a dozen or so messages back.

* Orest

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 11:08pm
Thanks Orest.

Looks like " abcdef1234" is the magic password.

Tom
twalterhome3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalterhome3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 12:07pm
So this is what I've been worried about all along

"When your iPad is connected to the IFD540 it cannot also be connected to the Stratus, since both use WiFi and the iPad only supports connecting to one WiFi network at a time."

So this feature is basically useless.
I need to get weather from Stratus, and traffic.

Are there plans to connect the IF540 to the stratus network?
or are there plans to use bluetooth?

Tim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 1:25pm
No need to be concerned. We have known that all along and have a solution for Stratus/ForeFlight customers in our next major software release.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

No need to be concerned. We have known that all along and have a solution for Stratus/ForeFlight customers in our next major software release.

Meaning 10.2?

Or the next one out, 10.3?

I don't use Stratus, nor iPads, but just curious for others.

* Orest

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 2:14pm
But I use both and can't wait for the answer!   :)

Edited by tony - 16 Mar 2016 at 2:15pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 2:16pm
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 2:33pm
There was quite a thorough review of Garmin Flight Stream with Garmin Pilot in the Feb 2016 issue of IFR mag, in the context of use with tablets (both Android & iPad) with various connectivity arrangements. It included real life experience of flight plan "sync" between GNS x30W and Garmin Pilot via Flight Stream.

That is not to push Garmin, but rather to suggest that such information is useful a) to see some of the issues encountered by the G-folks, and b) as a comparison once we start to get similar feedback from this user community (I hope) with similar setups using IFD's and Foreflight or Fltplan Go. Of particular note from the aforementioned article was a waypoint name inconsistency between the Jepp navdata (on the GNSx30W's) and AeroNav data on the Garmin Pilot, since that is what is also used by Foreflight and Fltplan Go, isn't it? The Garmin solution was to install Jepp navdata on Garmin Pilot (not an option for FF & Fltplan Go?).

Vince
twalterhome3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalterhome3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 2:39pm
Thanks AviSimpson, that's good to know.

Tim
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 4:49pm
Tried it today with Foreflight.  I guess all it can do is load the current flight plan from the IFD540 (or 440).  Worked great.  Plotted the route in Foreflight.  I think this will be great for long cross countries. 

I was glad to read the post from Simpson that said they have a solution for Foreflight/Stratus users.  I really don't want to change WIFI networks on the fly (see what I did there?) if I don't have to.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 9:12pm
I also tried it today and it is a very cool feature that will only get better.  Entering a flight plan into the 540 is ridiculously easy so if only one way transfer is available now, this is the one I would want until 10.2.  Also, since Foreflight does not yet update the plan if you add a waypoint or take a shortcut direct, I found it extremely easy to just hit the panel button on the map view of FF to make the change instantly.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 11:16pm
Right now, I'm trying to imagine how many electronic signals are being broadcast in my cockpit.

My phone (BT+wifi+cellular)
Wife's phone (BT+wifi+cellular)
My tablet (BT+wifi)
Tablet keyboard (BT)
Wife's tablet (BT+wifi)
Wife's tablet keyboard (BT)
My headset (BT)
Wife's headset (BT)
Audio panel (BT)
NavWorx (wifi)
IFD (BT+wifi)
IFD keyboard (BT)

Thank goodness I don't have young passengers!  Who knows how many devices THEY would bring along!

David Bunin

Edited by DavidBunin - 16 Mar 2016 at 11:17pm
kgrant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 8:03am
How about support for Jeppesen FliteDeck Pro connectivity.  Sure would like to transfer flight plan into IFD and display on Jepp charts enroute.
Kelly Grant
Rockwell Commander 112TCA
Bolivar, Missouri

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 9:21am
We've got a number of developers we are working with. We will make more announcements when the apps are completed and ready for primetime.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 10:03am

Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

Right now, I'm trying to imagine how many electronic signals are being broadcast in my cockpit.

My phone (BT+wifi+cellular)
Wife's phone (BT+wifi+cellular)
My tablet (BT+wifi)
Tablet keyboard (BT)
Wife's tablet (BT+wifi)
Wife's tablet keyboard (BT)
My headset (BT)
Wife's headset (BT)
Audio panel (BT)
NavWorx (wifi)
IFD (BT+wifi)
IFD keyboard (BT)

Thank goodness I don't have young passengers!  Who knows how many devices THEY would bring along!

David Bunin

And you are not even including:

• Transponder
  • VHF transmitters
  • UAT or squitter
  • radar
  • radar altimeter (?)
  • Sat phone

What an exciting RF environment!

"Thank goodness I don't have young passengers! " - or the desire to add more?

Have fun!

David E.

David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 5:27am
Simpson, I cannot seem to find the Wifi network exposed by the IFD540 on my iPad or iPhone. I have firmware 10.1.2.0 and have switched Wifi On in settings. Is there anything else I need to do?
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 9:24am

Originally posted by jhbehrens jhbehrens wrote:

Simpson, I cannot seem to find the Wifi network exposed by the IFD540 on my iPad or iPhone. I have firmware 10.1.2.0 and have switched Wifi On in settings. Is there anything else I need to do?

One thing that I have found is that you must make sure that if you have two units, for example a 440 and 540, only ONE of them should be enabled for WiFi.  Otherwise they will interfere with the connection to the other.

Once you have the 540 or 440 enabled, open your iPhone or iPad and go to the "Settings" app.  Just wait a few seconds - maybe as much as a minute for the "Choose a Network" screen to fill in with whatever nets are in the area.  Look for the "LIO...." network.  Join it and enter the password that Simpson provided.

It is great to have the connectivity, and now I am waiting for the next level of linkage.  Thanks to you at Avidyne for your continued efforts at improvement.

David E.
Cessna 182 RG II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 9:06am
Originally posted by AUXAIR AUXAIR wrote:

Originally posted by jhbehrens jhbehrens wrote:

One thing that I have found is that you must make sure that if you have two units, for example a 440 and 540, only ONE of them should be enabled for WiFi.  Otherwise they will interfere with the connection to the other.

Once you have the 540 or 440 enabled, open your iPhone or iPad and go to the "Settings" app.  Just wait a few seconds - maybe as much as a minute for the "Choose a Network" screen to fill in with whatever nets are in the area.  Look for the "LIO...." network.  Join it and enter the password that Simpson provided.

It is great to have the connectivity, and now I am waiting for the next level of linkage.  Thanks to you at Avidyne for your continued efforts at improvement.

Correct, if you have a dual installation, make sure to only have the WiFi turned on in one of the boxes since at the moment they share the same SSID. In a future software release, you will be able to create your own SSID and Password.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 12:56pm
I have a single 540 and have waited up to 5 minutes with the Wifi settings page open but I dont see the network.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 1:35pm
You are on firmware 10.1.1, confirm?

* Orest

jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 9:51am
10.1.2 actually
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 10:43am
I can't remember now, is there a user setting to turn on wifi in addition?

* Orest

Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 11:19am
yes, there is a user setting to enable/disable WIFI and another for BT
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 4:02pm
Well I'm hit with the same problem as well, there is no Wi-Fi signal from the 540 anymore.

When I initially installed 10.1.1, I did see the Wi-Fi Hotspot appear, but now it's gone. Wifi is set to ON on the user settings page.

So I'm dead in the water too. Any suggestions?

BT and the BT keyboard is working fine.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 30 Mar 2016 at 4:03pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 4:10pm
I strongly suggest you reach out to Tech Support at this point. Either techsupp(at)avidyne.com or 888-723-7592.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 4:16pm
Tech support suggested downloading 10.1.2.

Will give that a try.

* Orest
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 3:18pm
Another vendor reveal.

Seattle Avionics/FlyQ indicated today they would be taking a data feed from the 540s.  This is in addition to FF and FltPlan Go.

As with the others, unidirectional only.
David Gates
dubs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 10:25pm
Did anybody find a solution to the "No Wifi Network" issue? I'm having  the same issue with my single IFD440. BT Keyboard works fine, but there are no WIFI networks for the iPad to join. Wifi is "on" in settings, and software is 10.1.2

Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic