Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD100 Mobile App
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - flight plans not importing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

flight plans not importing

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message
ksdoc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 20 Nov 2014
Location: Arizona
Status: Offline
Points: 46
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: flight plans not importing
    Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 12:00pm
For some reason, inputing a flight plan on the IFD100 is not transferring to the 440. It started before I upgraded to IOS 11. Everything else still working like a charm.

Any suggestions what I did to change things?

Thanks
kansasdoc
Back to Top
Bill CFI View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 30 Mar 2017
Location: Greensboro, NC
Status: Offline
Points: 12
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill CFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 2:55pm
Your not by yourself.  IFD100 also no longer cross talks with the IFD-540.
Flight Plan and course not importing or exporting!
I am surprised that VHF freq. do work!  Happened, I think after iOS ver. 11.
I had waited for the Ver 11 upgrade for awhile then went ahead.  Bad idea!

Bill Schwabenton CFI-I
Beechcraft BE33
Aspen 1000 IFD540 Century 2000
Back to Top
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2018
Location: Melbourne, FL
Status: Offline
Points: 426
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Bill CFI Bill CFI wrote:

Your not by yourself.  IFD100 also no longer cross talks with the IFD-540.
Flight Plan and course not importing or exporting!
I am surprised that VHF freq. do work!  Happened, I think after iOS ver. 11.
I had waited for the Ver 11 upgrade for awhile then went ahead.  Bad idea!

What version of IFD software do you have?  What version of the IFD100 do you have?
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Back to Top
HenryM View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 13 Oct 2017
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 164
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 3:24pm
I am running the latest version of IFD on the Apple Store, and the latest released IOS 11. I

 haven't had a chance to go test turning Cellular Data off using its own separate setting. I have tried putting the iPad in Airplane mode, though, which should also turn off cellular data. The IFD-100 still doesn't talk to the IFD-540. I turned WiFi and Bluetooth back on manually, after enabling airplane mode, of course. 

The iPad connects to the IFD network and I can transfer flight plans in and out of ForeFlight. The WiFi connection is working for sure. When I try the IFD-100, no other app is running. I make sure to double click the home button and kill everything else that is running at the time. I have verified that the NavData is the same version in the 540 as in the iPad. I have never gotten the IFD-100 to work with my IFD-540.  
Back to Top
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2018
Location: Melbourne, FL
Status: Offline
Points: 426
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

I am running the latest version of IFD on the Apple Store, and the latest released IOS 11.

I haven't had a chance to go test turning Cellular Data off using its own separate setting. I have tried putting the iPad in Airplane mode, though, which should also turn off cellular data. The IFD-100 still doesn't talk to the IFD-540. I turned WiFi and Bluetooth back on manually, after enabling airplane mode, of course. 

The iPad connects to the IFD network and I can transfer flight plans in and out of ForeFlight. The WiFi connection is working for sure. When I try the IFD-100, no other app is running. I make sure to double click the home button and kill everything else that is running at the time. I have verified that the NavData is the same version in the 540 as in the iPad. I have never gotten the IFD-100 to work with my IFD-540.  
1. Do you have 10.2.1 in the IFD?
2. Do you connect Foreflight directly to the IFD or through a Stratus?

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Back to Top
HenryM View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 13 Oct 2017
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 164
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 4:16pm
I have 10.2.1 in the IFD. I connect the iPad directly to the LIO-WIFI network of the IFD. I don't have a Stratus at all. I have a Stratux, but when I connect to it, I don't connect to the LIO_WIFI network. They are totally separate at this point. 

I do know how to modify Stratux to connect to the LIO_WIFI network. I may try that sometime in order to get 1090MHz traffic as well as UAT traffic. I have an AXP-340 for ADSB Out. I would prefer to buy an dual-band Avidyne or other certified solution to replace my SkyTrax 100, but that doesn't seem to be on the horizon. I'd buy a Stratus if I could make it connect to LIO_WIFI, instead of having to make the IFD connect to the Stratus network.


Edited by HenryM - 11 May 2018 at 8:41pm
Back to Top
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2018
Location: Melbourne, FL
Status: Offline
Points: 426
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

I have 10.2.1 in the IFD. I connect the iPad directly to the LIO-WIFI network of the IFD. I don't have a Stratus at all. I have a Stratux, but when I connect to it, I don't connect to the LIO_WIFI network. They are totally separate at this point. 

I do know how to modify Stratux to connect to the LIO_WIFI network. I may try that sometime in order to get 1090MHz traffic as well as UAT traffic. I have an AXP-340 for ADSB Out. I would prefer to buy an dual-band Avidyne or other certified solution to replace my SkyTrax 100, but that doesn't seem to be on the horizon. I'd but a Stratus if I could make it connect to LIO_WIFI, instead of having to make the IFD connect to the Stratus network.
Hmmm... So you power up the IFD, wait for the WiFi to go green, then connect the iPad to the IFD using LIO_WIFI.  Then you are able to transfer a flight plan from Foreflight to the IFD (or vice versa).  Then, you close Foreflight and everything else on the iPad and start the IFD100 app.  Then, you wait for the green WiFi icon to appear on the IFD100.

Do you ever see the green WiFi icon on the IFD100?  If you do, you should then be able to touch the frequency block on the IFD100 and tune the standby comm frequency.  If not, that's a real mystery and maybe we can direct email some pictures to try to get this figured out.

If you can tune a frequency, that's good.  Then the next test is to try and sync flight plans.  One step at a time...
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Back to Top
oskrypuch View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 09 Nov 2012
Location: CYFD
Status: Offline
Points: 2414
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 7:01pm
Don't forget that the navdata has to be updated, it must match the IFD's for cross sync to work.

* Orest

Back to Top
HenryM View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 13 Oct 2017
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 164
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 8:49pm
The NavData and Obstacle databases are the same. I downloaded the databases for the IFD-100 and the IFD-540 from the same update cycle. I have some additional databases in the IFD -100 (international terrain) that are not in the IFD-540. 

I do NOT get the green WiFi or GPS symbol on the IFD-100. I don’t get the frequencies populating. The frequency boxes and the track box at the top center of the map have a red x across them. The app is just not connected to the IFD-540 at all. 

I will not have access to my plane this coming week as I am traveling. I could make arrangement to go to the plane and work on it while I talk to you on the phone the week after next. 
Back to Top
Bill CFI View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 30 Mar 2017
Location: Greensboro, NC
Status: Offline
Points: 12
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill CFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:27am
This is what I think has Happened!
I normally update Jepp NavData in the iPad the same time that the GPS gets updated!
But then if one updates the iPad iOS ver. later you need to go back and re update Jepp NavData again!
The Jepp NavData must become invalid if iOS on the iPad is changed!  Just like the panel IFD.
With a new reload of NavData all is well and cross talking between the IFD-100!
Bill Schwabenton CFI-I
Beechcraft BE33
Aspen 1000 IFD540 Century 2000
Back to Top
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2018
Location: Melbourne, FL
Status: Offline
Points: 426
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Bill CFI Bill CFI wrote:

This is what I think has Happened!
I normally update Jepp NavData in the iPad the same time that the GPS gets updated!
But then if one updates the iPad iOS ver. later you need to go back and re update Jepp NavData again!
The Jepp NavData must become invalid if iOS on the iPad is changed!  Just like the panel IFD.
With a new reload of NavData all is well and cross talking between the IFD-100!
Glad you got it working.  We weren't aware of that either, so thanks for posting!
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Back to Top
HenryM View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 13 Oct 2017
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 164
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:29am
In my case, I had downloaded the IFD-540 data to the USB key after I updated my iPad. I then went to the airport and updated the IFD-540. Note that once I download the data to the USB key, I can no longer download it a second time.

I have both the IFD-100 and the IFD Trainer on this iPad. Whenever I start either app, I get a Jepp login page from where I can download the latest database. Once I download the database for one app, the other one also picks it up. I don't remember for sure which app I used to download the data on my iPad. It may have been the Trainer.

If the sequence of updating the database is important, I'd like to see it documented by Avidyne. It has been a frustrating process so far, though I am sure in the end it will turn out to be something simple, maybe user error if I'm not doing things in the right order.
Back to Top
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2018
Location: Melbourne, FL
Status: Offline
Points: 426
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 10:20am
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

The NavData and Obstacle databases are the same. I downloaded the databases for the IFD-100 and the IFD-540 from the same update cycle. I have some additional databases in the IFD -100 (international terrain) that are not in the IFD-540. 

I do NOT get the green WiFi or GPS symbol on the IFD-100. I don’t get the frequencies populating. The frequency boxes and the track box at the top center of the map have a red x across them. The app is just not connected to the IFD-540 at all. 

I will not have access to my plane this coming week as I am traveling. I could make arrangement to go to the plane and work on it while I talk to you on the phone the week after next. 
If you're never getting the green wifi icon, you most likely don't have the IFD100 chassis ID set correctly.  There is a section on how to configure the IFD100 on page 6 of the the Quick Reference Guide.  In a nutshell, go to the iPad settings for IFD100 and set "IFD Chassis ID #" to the same value that you see for "Sys ID" on the AUX-SYS (Software Status) page of your IFD540.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Back to Top
HenryM View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 13 Oct 2017
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 164
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:15am
Steve,

That is most likely my problem. I had not found the Quick Reference Guide, and I have definitely not set up the iFD Chassis ID#. I will go through the Quick Ref now to make sure I have everything in place. I was missing that piece of information. I must have missed it on your web site. I found it in the Documentation Section now, under Avidyne Downloads. I appreciate the direct link above too. Thank you very much for your patience! 

Henry


Back to Top
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2018
Location: Melbourne, FL
Status: Offline
Points: 426
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:21am
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

Steve,

That is most likely my problem. I had not found the Quick Reference Guide, and I have definitely not set up the iFD Chassis ID#. I will go through the Quick Ref now to make sure I have everything in place. I was missing that piece of information. I must have missed it on your web site. I found it in the Documentation Section now, under Avidyne Downloads. I appreciate the direct link above too. Thank you very much for your patience! 

Henry
Sounds good, let me know if it works out.  There is a link to the Quick Reference Guide on the IFD100 startup page.  It's easy to miss because it's on the page that you only care about once a month to update data and even then it's a bunch of text that is usually just legalese so the brain just skips over it.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Back to Top
HenryM View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 13 Oct 2017
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 164
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 1:30pm
now that you point it out ...

It is very clearly there. 
Back to Top
HenryM View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 13 Oct 2017
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 164
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 6:21pm
I finally got a chance to try this again. I was able to connect my iPad with IFD-100 to the IFD-540 in my plane. However, the flight plans still don’t transfer. 

The 100 and 540 both report software version 10.2.1. The Sys ID is 2. This was the problem previously. I had the iPad set to Sys ID 1. I can enter a frequency in one device and it shows up on the other. Once I had GOS lock, the maps and position synchronized as expected.

The only thing that doesn’t work is entering a flight plan on one and having it show up on the other. 

In order to debug this, I set up another iPad with the IFD Trainer. I had to change the Sys ID back to 1 on the first iPad, but everything seems to work as expected. Flight plans transfer as expected. As soon as I hit Enter after entering a waypoint or other information, it shows up on the other device. So the iPad and IFD-100 seem to be set up properly. 

I installed the the current (May 24) Nav Data and Obstacles data on the iPad first, then downloaded the data to my USB stick and installed it in the plane. I’ve also tried removing and reinstalling the IFD-100 app. I’ve verified that NavData is the same version on the IFD-100 and the IFD-540. I do not get a CAS error message informing me of a database mismatch, as shown in the quick ref guide. Any ideas what else I can try? 

I did like flying the IFD-540 in FMS mode and the IFD-100 in Map mode. I can see how this setup is potentially very useful. I hope I can get the flight plans to work. 

One curiosity question for Avidyne: How is the Sys ID set? Why is my IFD-540 set to 2 when it is the only IFD in the plane?


Edited by HenryM - 27 May 2018 at 6:27pm
Back to Top
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2018
Location: Melbourne, FL
Status: Offline
Points: 426
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 2:04am
That's good news.  The IFD Sys ID (chassis ID) is determined by a DIP switch located on the right side of the box (as you're looking at it).  I'm pretty sure the factory sends them out as chassis ID 1, so my guess is that the installer set it to 2 for some reason.

I think I remember our IFD100 guy saying that the app expects there to always be an IFD with chassis ID #1 in the system.  So, I suggest you set the IFD to chassis ID 1 instead of 2.  I'll bet it all works perfectly after that.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Back to Top
HenryM View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 13 Oct 2017
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 164
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 7:42am
I’ll try to get the unit out to change the dip switch. I wonder why the installers would have changed it. 

Also, why should the app require that there be a Sys ID 1 when there is only one box in the plane? This seems like an unnecessary limitation, since a system that just has Sys ID 2 obviously works in my plane. Can you feed this back to the IFD-100 developers? 

Everything seems to work, except flight plan transfers. 

Thanks you for your help!


Edited by HenryM - 28 May 2018 at 7:45am
Back to Top
HenryM View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 13 Oct 2017
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 164
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 5:52pm
I changed the DIP switch on my IFD-540 so it is now Sys ID 1 and set the IFD-100 setting to Chassis ID 1, and now everything works as expected! File plans transfer. I even set up a second iPad with the IFD-100 app and set it to be iPad 2 in the IFD-100 settings. Both iPads and the IFD-540 change immediately when I press Enter after any change I make in the FPL page of any of the three devices. 

I have screen overload now! Two IFD screens plus ForeFlight on one of the iPads. Can’t have too much information ...

Now if only Avidyne and ForeFlight could work together so the SkyTrax traffic and weather could get displayed on ForeFlight, I’d be all set.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.094 seconds.