Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Does my IFD540 have Wifi / Bluetooth & FLTA TAWS?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Does my IFD540 have Wifi / Bluetooth & FLTA TAWS?

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message
CubedRoot View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 06 May 2018
Location: KFGU
Status: Offline
Points: 31
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does my IFD540 have Wifi / Bluetooth & FLTA TAWS?
    Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 5:55pm
I am fairly new to Avidyne and I have an IFD540 in my Cardinal.  

Here is a screenshot of my hardware:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/HV1TMZwRaMarFqPe7

I have tried configuring WIFI and it is set for "LOCAL" but when its in flight mode, I do not see the wifi network.  Same goes for Bluetooth, I can pair my keyboard to the IFD in the configuration screen (even typing in the matching characters to pair), but when I reboot back into flight mode, the keyboard doesn't do anything.

Additionally, I don't seem to be getting any FLTA alerts / notifications on the screen like I see in most of the videos online of the IFD540 in use. 

Are those features "enabled" on the screenshot of my IFD I posted above?

Thanks in advance for helping a total newb.
Back to Top
AzAv8r View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 06 Dec 2011
Location: Arizona
Status: Offline
Points: 147
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 11:04pm
Welcome fellow Cardinal owner.  Hopefully you are a CFO member.

I've never looked at the options screen critically - all the stuff I expected to work, worked.
But I would conclude from your photo that the screen shows all *possible* options, and the highlighted one ("SVS") is the only one enabled.  Which would mean you do not have WiFi or BT enabled.  The other non-highlighted options are somewhat specialized and would be unusual in a Cardinal.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.  Did you have the 540 installed, or did you purchase the plane with it already installed?  If the former, talk to your dealer/installer.

Seems odd they would work on the ground, but then stop working in the air.
Back to Top
LANCE View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 06 Dec 2014
Location: TEXAS
Status: Offline
Points: 240
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 12:17am
I thought all IFD 540's have WiFi and BT enabled.

Edited by LANCE - 10 Jul 2018 at 2:33pm
Back to Top
CubedRoot View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 06 May 2018
Location: KFGU
Status: Offline
Points: 31
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 12:41am
Originally posted by AzAv8r AzAv8r wrote:

Welcome fellow Cardinal owner.  Hopefully you are a CFO member.

I've never looked at the options screen critically - all the stuff I expected to work, worked.
But I would conclude from your photo that the screen shows all *possible* options, and the highlighted one ("SVS") is the only one enabled.  Which would mean you do not have WiFi or BT enabled.  The other non-highlighted options are somewhat specialized and would be unusual in a Cardinal.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.  Did you have the 540 installed, or did you purchase the plane with it already installed?  If the former, talk to your dealer/installer.

Seems odd they would work on the ground, but then stop working in the air.

It was already installed when I bought the Cardinal.  I have been all through the options and configuration and can't find where to enable it.  
Back to Top
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2018
Location: Melbourne, FL
Status: Offline
Points: 414
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 9:05am
Originally posted by CubedRoot CubedRoot wrote:

It was already installed when I bought the Cardinal.  I have been all through the options and configuration and can't find where to enable it.  
That screenshot shows WiFi and BT are disabled.  Call tech support and they'll get you going.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Back to Top
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Location: KBRY
Status: Offline
Points: 111
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 2:10am
We were flying home and I was trying to connect the IFD100 app to the IFD540 when I discovered that Bluetooth & WiFi both were off.  I had received a replacement IFD540 some time before but had other things going on and hadn't had the need of those features.  As soon as I went into the configuration and turned the Bluetooth on, the "Allow WiFi/Bluetooth" prompt popped up even though I hadn't turned on the WiFi yet.  After Bluetooth, I enabled WiFi but no additional "Allow" prompt came up.  I had a Wifi and Bluetooth logo in the upper right hand corner but could still get no connection between the IFD540 and the IFD100.  We were IFR at the time so I didn't feel the need to reboot the IFD.  By the time we got home I had forgotton about it and haven't had the opportunity to test it since.  I'm hoping that the fact that I got the prompt before enabling the WiFi means that I didn't really have WiFi even though the icon was there.
Spending my kid's inheritance, one upgrade at a time.
Back to Top
oskrypuch View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 09 Nov 2012
Location: CYFD
Status: Offline
Points: 2400
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 11:05am
I've only ever seen the notice come up once, per bootup.

Was the Wifi icon green? Any unit coming back from the factory will be set to defaults, so you will potentially have to reconfigure BT & WiFi.

Here is a network guide, believe it was snipped from the install manual -- which is no longer available publicly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xazbm4x15vfhsol/IFD540_NetworkingSetup.pdf?dl=1

* Orest



Edited by oskrypuch - 15 Jul 2018 at 11:06am
Back to Top
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Location: KBRY
Status: Offline
Points: 111
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 2:28am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

I've only ever seen the notice come up once, per bootup.

Was the Wifi icon green? Any unit coming back from the factory will be set to defaults, so you will potentially have to reconfigure BT & WiFi.

Here is a network guide, believe it was snipped from the install manual -- which is no longer available publicly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xazbm4x15vfhsol/IFD540_NetworkingSetup.pdf?dl=1

* Orest



I don't recall if it was green but both icons were there in the upper right corner.

Thanks for the manual.  I'm thinking about setting the IFD540 as a client to facilitate using it in conjuction with Foreflight.  I really wish they would change the software so that the Stratus II could be a client on the network so that I could let my IFD be the WAP.

You are the Manual King!  Now, would you happen to have a manual for the Aspen EFD1000 Pro to calibrate the AOA?  Can't find one anywhere.
Spending my kid's inheritance, one upgrade at a time.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.057 seconds.